Habitat Metro Denver works with many community and national partners. Volunteers help build Habitat homes, making our Homeownership Program possible. Without the help of partners, we could not build and sell affordable houses to Denver families. Likewise, when families are selected for our Homeownership Program, we treat them as our partners. We are committed to working with these future homeowners to make their dreams of homeownership come true.
Willingness to Partner
As one of the three criteria Habitat for Humanity uses to select families for the Homeownership Program, your willingness to partner actually begins when you start the application process. We expect applicants to:
- Meet all deadlines.
- Attend required meetings, classes, and events (arriving on time).
- Be communicative and honest.
New Construction Homes
Habitat Metro Denver requires that each applicant complete sweat equity if they are selected into the program. These hours must be completed by the applicants themselves, hours cannot be donated or shared. Sweat equity involves:
- Hours on the build site, most of those hours will be on your own home
- Hours of home buyer education classes
- Hours on a build site, working at a Habitat ReStore, working at the offices of Habitat Metro Denver, or volunteering at another approved organization
Homes Already Built that Habitat is Renovating and Reselling
Habitat Metro Denver requires that each applicant complete sweat equity if they are selected into the program. These hours must be completed by the applicants themselves, hours cannot be donated or shared. These hours of sweat equity involve:
- Full days on construction build site
- Home buyer education classes
- Shifts working at a Habitat ReStore
- Meetings with Habitat staff
You should not begin these hours before you have gone through the screening process and are selected for a home. Many people fear that they cannot complete the required hours due to age, disability, or a conflicting work schedule. We do our best to work with your ability and schedule. Sweat equity hours must be completed by the deadline. Every selected future homeowner must complete their required sweat equity hours before moving into their home.