Habitat's Homeownership Process
Thank you for your interest in becoming a homeowner! Here is a step-by-step overview of what to expect during Habitat's homeownership process.
Step 1: View our Homes for Sale
You can search current inventory by location, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, and price. You'll also see each home's square footage, and the minimum and maximum gross income required to qualify. Your family size should allow for no more than two people per bedroom. Homes are added regularly.
Step 2: Review our Program Qualifications
Confirm that you meet our requirements:
- Must have lived or worked in metro Denver for at least six months (incorporated Adams, Arapahoe, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson counties)
- Must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (green card holder)
- Cannot currently own a home
- Cannot be a registered sex offender
- Have a minimum of six consecutive months of employment on all current jobs, or 2 years if self-employed
- Maintain a monthly gross income within our income guidelines, based on your household size
- Have less than $2,000 in unpaid collections
- Have at least two years since being discharged from bankruptcy
- Have a "non-housing-related payment debt-to-income (DTI) ratio" of less than 13%
Debts might include minimum monthly credit card payments, car loans, student loans, etc. Income can include wages, business income, SSI/SSDI disability, alimony, child support, and retirement.
- Total debt-to-income ratio including a Habitat mortgage payment of 30% of household income must be less than 43%
Step 3: Determine if You're Ready
If you are ready to take the next step and see if you qualify to purchase a Habitat home, you have two options:
- Attend an Information Session to hear more about Habitat's program requirements and learn next steps for applying to purchase a home.
- Fill out our Eligibility Questionnaire to see if you meet all program requirements. Once you submit your completed questionnaire, you will receive a notification within 24 hours, either inviting you to apply to the program, or providing reasons why you do not qualify.
Not yet ready or don't qualify?
View our list of helpful resources.
Step 4: Apply
Eligibility Questionnaire submissions that are successful will receive an invitation to apply, which includes the following:
- a link to our application packet and document request;
- a packet, which must be completed and returned with the requested documents within five business days;
- the application, which will be reviewed by our team to verify income and review credit;
- a pre-screening letter and property offerings, if your pre-screening is successful;
- the opportunity to work with our team to select your future home;
- an assessment of your ability to pay, completed by our team; and
- a final selection interview with our team to discuss our three selection criteria (ability to pay; need for housing; and willingness to partner).
The application process is usually completed in 30 days.
Step 5: Complete Partnership Requirements
When you select your future home, you will sign partnership documents, which will require you to:
- Complete "sweat equity" hours, which includes volunteer shifts on construction sites and at Habitat's ReStores, and completing a series of online homeownership classes.
- Finalize your mortgage loan and close on your new home!