Habitat's Homeownership Process
Thank you for your interest in becoming a homeowner! Here is a step-by-step overview of what to expect during Habitat's homeownership process.
Step 1: View our Homes for Sale
You can search current inventory by location, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, and price. You'll also see each home's square footage, and the minimum and maximum gross income required to qualify. Your family size should allow for no more than two people per bedroom. Homes are added regularly.
Step 2: Review our Program Qualifications
Confirm that you meet our requirements:
Maximum Income Allowed by Household Size
80% Area Median Income (AMI)
Income Restrictions are based on household size
|1 Person Household||$55,950|
|2 Person Household||$63,950|
|3 Person Household||$71,950|
|4 Person Household||$79,990|
|5 Person Household||$86,300|
These are the maximum household incomes allowed. Note that while these represent our most common household sizes, Habitat Metro Denver serves households of up to 10 when homes are available.
Step 3: Determine if You're Ready
If you are ready to take the next step and see if you qualify to purchase a Habitat home, you have two options:
- Attend an Information Session to hear more about Habitat's program requirements and learn next steps for applying to purchase a home.
- Fill out ourto see if you meet all program requirements. Once you submit your completed questionnaire, you will receive a notification within 24 hours, either inviting you to apply to the program, or providing reasons why you do not qualify.
Not yet ready or don't qualify?
View our list of helpful resources.
Step 4: Apply
If you complete the eligibility questionnaire and receive an invitation to apply via email, you will:
- Receive a link to our application packet and document request.
- Have five business day to return the complete packet and provide the requested documents.
- Have your application reviewed by our team to verify income and review credit.
- Receive a pre-screening letter and property offerings if your pre-screening is successful.
- Work with our team to select your future home
- Have our team complete an assessment of your ability to pay.
- Participate with our team in a final selection interview to discuss our three selection criteria (ability to pay; need for housing; and willingness to partner).
The application process is usually completed in 30 days.
Step 5: Complete Partnership Requirements
When you select your future home, you will sign partnership documents, which will require you to:
- Complete "sweat equity" hours, which includes volunteer shifts on construction sites and at Habitat's ReStores, and completing a series of online homeownership classes.
- Finalize your mortgage loan and close on your new home!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of the U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver is a 501 (c) nonprofit organization, FEIN: 74-2050021 see our About Us page for more organization information.