In the five-county area that Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver serves, about 1 in 4 households are housing cost burdened. Too many of our neighbors are on the verge of losing their homes, or having to make extremely difficult financial decisions for themselves and their families.
We believe all people deserve a decent and affordable place to live, and that's why we're asking you to join us in taking action.
Metro Denver Priorities:
Supply & Preservation
Increased state and local affordable housing funds dedicated to affordable homeownership development and preservation
Promote long term affordable homeownership strategies in local jurisdictions
Access to Credit
Increased down payment and mortgage assistance programs for low-income families.
Increased funding for safe affordable mortgages and housing counseling
Improved land use, inclusionary zoning policies, incentives and reduced fees for nonprofit affordable for-sale housing developers
Communities of Opportunity
Preservation and stabilization policies for low-income households vulnerable to displacement
Broaden economic mobility and access to communities of opportunity
View Metro Denver County Action Plans
- Create and/or maintain statewide resources for affordable housing.
- Take appropriate action on building, real estate and lending industry standards.
- Support legislation regulating practices that take advantage of people living in poverty.
- Take appropriate action on legislation affecting business practices.
- Create and support collaborative efforts to solve rural housing issues, including but not limited to aging populations, aging housing stock, and teacher retention.
- Support Habitat for Humanity International legislative priorities.
U.S. & International Priorities:
Increasing supply and preservation of affordable homes
Supports policies that increase the production, preservation and accessibility of homes that are affordable for lower-income households.
Equitably increasing access to credit
Supports policies that increase and broaden access to safe and sound credit for underserved populations.
Optimizing land use for affordable homes
Supports policies related to land acquisition, use and development that bring down the cost of building, promote fair housing, and fully reflect community needs.
Ensuring access to and development of communities of opportunity
Supports policies that protect and strengthen neighborhoods, and enable communities to thrive.